Things We Want
- adjustable, telescoping, removable camera mount
- camera toward front or back?
- perhaps a 6-wheel design (3 on each side), center wheel is lower, rocks forward and back on center wheels to front or back
- omniwheels instead of caster?
- stop button -- pound from the top and in back of front
- rotate in place -- easy to model in player stage.
Andrew Bacha's masters thesis on the Johnny-5 robot, Virginia Tech, May 12, 2005
Analysis of 2007 Robots
- Bluefield State College: thick casters, built on wheelchair base, camera up high for good view of track,
- Bob Jones University: too block-like
- CSU Northridge: two rear-wheels, fairly large, two front casters, too open (needs weather-proofing)
- Cedarville University: looks like shopping cart. large bicycle wheels in back, two small casters in the front, open frame, camera is up really high, payload is low
- DeVry IT: very low to the ground, looks like 4 drive wheels, belt drive running at least 1 wheel on each side
- Ecole de Technologie: 2 smallish back wheels plus 1 front caster, well-weatherized
- Georgia Tech Candi: basic, two drive wheels in front, looks like big round skid plate in back
- Hosei Univ: wheelchair based, high style base, 2 smallish drive wheels in back, 2 omni wheels in front, COG appears to be over back axle.
- Lawrence Tech Armadillo: jointed design with 2 wheels on front and back
- Lawrence Tech H2Bot II: 2 drive wheels & rear caster
- RIT Overlord: complex tank tread design, narrow
- Stony Brook TNA: low to the ground, rack and pinion steering in front?, 4 smallish wheels
- City College NY, caster in rear, 2 medium wheels in center, simple
- College of NJ AMBER: four smallish wheels, rack and pinion? jointed? low to the ground
- Trinity College Q: 2 medium wheels in front, 1 caster in back, 80/20 frame
- UCF Gamblore: lots of aluminum protection
- U of Cincinatti: 2 Segway wheels in front, 2 casters in back, lots of 80/20, looks bulky
- VaTech Johnny 5: 2 drive wheels in back, 1 caster in front, caster is fairly close to the rear axle.
- VaTech Polaris: jointed robot