- The Artificial Ecosystem: a distributed approach to Service Robotics, Sgorbissa and Zaccaria, 2004
- Extending the Capabilities of Mobile Robots through Knowledge Ecosystems, Mastrogiovanni, Sgorbissa, and Zaccaria, 2007
Behavior Based (Subsumption) Architecture:
- A Robust Layered Control System For A Mobile Robot, Rodney Brooks, 1986 (See also: the AI memo of this paper)
- A Robot That Walks; Emergent Behaviors from a Carefully Evolved Network, Rodney Brooks, 1989
- Elephants Don't Play Chess, Rodney Brooks, 1990
- Bio-Inspired Dynamical Vertical Climbing Robots
- Toward a Dynamic Vertical Climbing Robot, Jonathan E. Clark, Daniel I. Goldman, Tao S. Chen, Robert J. Full, and Daniel Koditschek
Robot Programming Languages
- "An erlang framework for autonomous mobile robots," Corrado Santoro, Proceedings of the 2007 SIGPLAN workshop on Erlang
- Erlang FAQ
Ecology and Multi-agent systems
- "Ecological robotics: A schema-theoretic approach", Ronald C. Arkin, Francisco Cervantes-Perez, and Alfredo Weitzenfeld, Intelligent Robots: Sensing, Modelling and Planning, 1997.
- "The evolution and stability of cooperative traits", Sandip Sen, Partha Sarathi Dutta, Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS 2002).
- “Distributed construction by mobile robots with enhanced building blocks”, Justin Werfel, Yaneer Bar-Yam, Daniela Rus, and Radhika Nagpal. Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2006).
- "Self-organizing Environmentally-adaptive Shapes on a Modular Robot", Chih-han Yu, FX Williems, Donald Ingber, Radhika Nagpal, IEEE Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Oct 2007.
- "The Emergence of Geometric Order in Proliferating Metazoan Epithelia", Ankit Patel, Radhika Nagpal, Matthew Gibson, Norbert Perrimon. Nature, 442(7106):1038-41, 2006.
- "Multiagent reinforcement learning and self-organization in a network of agents", Sherief Abdallah, Victor Lesser, Proceedings of the 6th international joint conference on Autonomous agents and multiagent systems (AAMAS, May 2007).