Dr. Jie “Jed” Wang
Professor of Computer Science
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854
My current research interests include text mining, document engineering, data modeling and its applications, optimization algorithms. My previous interests included large-scale network dynamics, cloud computing and search over encryption, network security, wireless networks, and computational complexity theory. I am particularly interested in algorithmic problems and mathematical modeling arising from practical applications, including data analysis and applications, intelligent text automation, wireless sensor networks, computational medicine, networking, and online social networks. I studied computational complexity theory from late 1980's to early 2000's, including structural complexity, average-case complexity, and average NP-completeness.
The Path to Greatness -- by Bill Hybels
In each heart is a built-in mechanism that craves self-promotion and advancement, the climb of ego. Our role models and heroes reinforce the theme: Ascend and flex the muscles of your self-will. Do whatever it takes to conquer gravity. Whether you do it blatantly or wear the disguise of humility, make yourself upwardly mobile. Why? Because that is the direction of greatness.
Philippians 2 said: If you want to be truly great, then the direction you must go is down. You must descend into greatness. At the heart of this paradox is still another paradox: Greatness is not a measure of self-will, but rather self-abandonment. The more you lose, the more you gain.
Selected Papers (from 200+ publications)
· Write Right for ICAE (draft)—key elements of writing a research paper, an editorial for celebrating ICAE’s 30th anniversary.
Text Mining and Document Engineering
1. Hao Zhang and Jie Wang. An unsupervised semantic sentence ranking scheme for text documents. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering (Impact factor in 2019: 4.904). Accepted.
2. Jingwen Wang, Hao Zhang, Cheng Zhang, Wenjing Yang, Liqun Shao, Jie Wang. An effective scheme for generating an overview report over a very large corpus of documents. In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng’19), Berlin, September 23–26, 2019. (Best Paper Runner-up)
3. Hao Zhang, Jie Wang. Semantic WordRank: Generating finer single-document summarizations. In Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL’18), Madrid, November 21-23, 2018.
4. Liqun Shao, Jie Wang. DTATG: an automatic title generator based on dependency trees. In Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (KDIR’16). Porto, November 9-11, 2016.
5. Ming Jia, Yiqi Bai, Jingwen Wang, Wenjing Yang, Hao Zhang, and Jie Wang. Big data text automation on small machines. In Matthias Dehmer, Emmert-Streib, Pickl, and Holzinger (eds.), Big Data of Complex Networks. CRC Press, 2016, pages 39-78.
6. Yiqi Bai and Jie Wang. News classifications with Labeled LDA. In Proceedings of the 7th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (KDIR '15). Lisbon, November 12-14, 2015. Pages 75-83.
7. Zheng Fang, Jie Wang. Efficient identifications of structural similarities for graphs. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization. 27(2):209-220, 2014.
8. Zheng Fang, Jie Wang, Benyuan Liu, Weibo Gong. Double Pareto lognormal distributions in complex networks. In My T. Thai and Panos M. Pardalos (eds.), Handbook of Optimization in Complex Networks: Theory and Its Applications. Springer, 2012, pages 55-80.
9. Zheng Fang, Jie Wang, Benyuan Liu, Weibo Gong. Wikipedia as domain knowledge networks: Domain extraction and statistical measurement. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval (KDIR’11), Paris, October 26-29, 2011.
Computational Complexity Theory
10. Jie Wang. Average-case computational complexity theory. In Hemaspaandra and Selmen (eds.), Complexity Theory Retrospective II, Springer, 1997, pages 295-328.
11. Jie Wang. Average-case intractable NP problems. In D. Du and K-I Ko (eds.), Advances in Languages, Algorithms, and Complexity, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997, pages 313-378.
12. Jie Wang. Average-case completeness of a word problem for groups. In Proceedings of the 27th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC’95), Las Vegas, May 29-June 1, 1995.
13. Jie Wang. Random instances of bounded string rewriting are hard. Journal of Computing and Information, 1(1):11-23, 1995.
14. Steve Homer, Jie Wang. Immunity of complete problems. Information and Computation, 110:119-129, 1994.
15. Jie Wang. Polynomial time productivity, approximations, and levelability. SIAM Journal on Computing, 21:1100-1111, 1992.
16. Jie Wang. On p-creative sets and p-completely creative sets. Theoretical Computer Science, 85:1-31, 1991.
17. Jie Wang, Jay Belanger. On average P vs. average NP. In Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Annual Conference on Structure in Complexity Theory (Complexity’92), Boston, June 22-25, 1992.
18. Steve Homer, Jie Wang. Absolute results concerning one-way functions and their applications. Mathematical Systems Theory, 22:21-35, 1989.
Algorithms and Applications
19. Ming-Yang Kao, Jie Wang. Minimizing roundoff errors of prefix sums via dynamic construction of Huffman trees. Theoretical Computer Science, 262:101-115, 2001.
20. Ming-Yank Kao, Jie Wang. Linear-time approximation algorithms for computing numerical summation with provably small errors. SIAM Journal on Computing, 29(5):1568-1576, 2000.
21. Jie Wang. Packing of unequal spheres and automated radiosurgery treatment planning. Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, 3:453-464, 1999.
22. Yaorong Ge, David Stelts, Jie Wang, David Vining. Computing the central path of a colon: a fast and robust method based on 3D skeletons. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 23(5):786-794, 1999.
23. Ming-Yang Kao, Jie Wang. Efficient minimization of numerical summation errors. In Proceedings of the 25th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming (ICALP'98), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1443, pages 375-386, Springer, July 1998. Aalborg, Denmark.
24. Guangkun Hou, Jie Wang, Yizhi Chao. Alpha-beta pruning for efficient block designs. Journal of Artificial Intelligence (in Chinese), 2:17-20, 1982.
25. Hao Zhang, Shan Lu, Jie Wang. Effective models for predicting Gaokao scores and selecting universities for college admissions in mainland China. International Journal of Humanitarian Technology. To appear.
26. Shan Lu, Hao Zhang, Jie Wang. EEZY: A Gaokao recommendation system using general morphological analysis over big data. Acta Morphologica Generalis. Swedish Morphological Society, 5(1): 1-12, 2016.
27. Ming Jia, Hualiang Xu, Jingwen Wang, Yiqi Bai, Benyuan Liu, Jie Wang. Handling big data of online social networks on a small machine. Journal of Computational Social Networks.
28. Jie Wang, Jian Lu, Zheng Fang, Cindy Chen, Tingjian Ge. PL-Tree: an efficient access method for high-dimensional data. In the Proceedings of the 13th International Annual Symposium on Spatial and Temporal databases (SSTD’13), Munich, August 21-23, 2013.
29. Tian Xia, Donghui Zhang, Cindy Chen, Zheng Fang, Jie Wang. Subspace skyline query processing with efficient update support. ACM Transactions on Database Systems. 37(2): May 2012.
30. Wei Li, Cindy Chen, and Jie Wang. PCS: an efficient clustering method for high-dimensional data. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Data Mining (DMIN'08). July 14-17, 2008. (Best Paper Award)
31. Xiang Cheng, Sen Su, Zhongbao Zhang, Hanchi Wang, Fangchun Yang, Yan Luo, Jie Wang. Virtual network embedding through topology-aware node ranking. ACM/SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 41(2):39-47, 2011.
32. Jie Yang, Jie Wang, Benyuan Liu. An intersection collision warning system using Wi-Fi smartphones in VANET. In Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2011), Houston, TX, December, 2011.
33. Stanley Barr, Jie Wang, Benyuan Liu. An efficient method for constructing underwater sensor barriers. Journal of Communications, 6(5):370-383, 2011.
34. Anwar Saipulla, Benyuan Liu, Guoliang Xing, Xinwen Fu, Jie Wang. Coverage with sensors of limited mobility. In Proceedings of the 11th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MobiHoc’10). Chicago, September 20-24, 2010.
35. Anwar Saipulla, Cedric Westphal, Benyuan Liu, Jie Wang. Barrier coverage of line-based deployed wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 28th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM’09), Rio de Janeiro, April 19-25, 2009.
36. Benyuan Liu, Olivier Dousse, Jie Wang, Anwar Saipulla. Strong Barrier Coverage of Wireless Sensor Networks. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MobiHoc’08), Hong Kong, May 27-30, 2008.
37. Krishna Sivalingam, Jie Wang. Performance of a MAC protocol for WDM networks with on-line scheduling. In Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Conference on Network Communication (INFOCOM'96), San Francisco, March 24-28, 1996.
Network and Cloud Security
38. Zachary Kissel, Jie Wang. Generic adaptively secure searchable phrase encryption. In Proceedings of the 16th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS’17). Minneapolis, July 18 – 21, 2017.
39. Zachary Kissel, Jie Wang Access control for untrusted content distribution clouds using unidirectional re-encryption. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Cloud Computing and Services for High Performance Computing Systems (InterCloud-HPC’13), Helsinki, July 1-5, 2013.
40. Guanling Chen, Jie Wang, Bo Yan, Hongda Yin. Robust detection of unauthorized access points. Journal of Mobile Networks and Communications. 14(4):508-522, 2009.
41. Jared Karro, Jie Wang. Towards a practical, secure, and very large scale online election. In Proceedings of the 15th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC'99), Phoenix, December 9-13,1999.
42. Tefen Lin, Jie Wang. Producing automated mosaic art images of high quality with restricted and limited color palettes. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Imaging Theory and Applications (IMAGAPP’11), Algarve, March 5-7, 2011.
43. Wenjing Yang and Jie Wang. Generating appropriate question-answer pairs for chatbots using data harvested from community-based QA sites. In Proceedings of the 9th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (IC3K 2017). Madeira, November 1-3, 2017.