91.550 Human-Robot Interaction - Fall 2007
and by appointment
Handouts and Assignments
12/13/07: IRB Materials -- complete forms for an expedited review -- do not send to the IRB, just submit with your project
Social Robotics (Readings for 12/13)
Assistive Technology (Readings for 12/6)
- Toward sociable robots, Cynthia Breazeal, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 42, Issues 3-4, March 2003, pp. 167-175.
- Anthropomorphism and the social robot, Brian R. Duffy, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 42, Issues 3-4, March 2003, pp. 177-190.
- Social and collaborative aspects of interaction with a service robot, Kerstin Severinson-Eklundh, Anders Green, and Helge Huttenrauch, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 42, Issues 3-4, March 2003, pp. 223-234.
- Robota: Clever toy and educational tool, Aude Billard, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 42, Issues 3-4, March 2003, pp. 259-269.
Human-Robot Teams (Readings for 11/29)
- Socially Assistive Robotics for Post-Stroke Rehabilitation, Maja J. Mataric, Jon Eriksson, David Feil-Seifer, and Carolee Winstein, International Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 4(5), Feb 19, 2007.
- A Quasi-Passive Leg Exoskeleton for Load-Carrying Augmentation, Walsh, C., Endo, K., Herr, H., International Journal of Humanoid Robotics, 2007. (in press)
- Towards Robotic Assistants in Nursing Homes: Challenges and Results, Joelle Pineau, Michael Montemerlo, Martha Pollack, Nicholas Roy and Sebastian Thrun, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Volume 42, Issues 3-4, 31 March 2003, pages 271-281.
Metrics (Readings for 11/8/07)
- Human-Robot Teams for Large-Scale Assembly, Reid Simmons, Sanjiv Singh, Frederik W. Heger, Laura M. Hiatt, Seth Koterba, Nik Melchior and Brennan Sellner, Proceedings of the NASA Science Technology Conference 2007 (NSTC-07), Adelphi, MD, 2007.
- Identifying Predictive Metrics for Supervisory Control of Multiple Robots, J. W. Crandall and M. L. Cummings, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 23, No. 5, Oct 2007.
- Speaking Swarmish: Human-Robot Interface Design for Large Swarms of Autonomous Mobile Robots, James McLurkin, Jennifer Smith, James Frankel, David Sotkowitz, David Blau, and Brian Schmidt, Integrated Intelligent Knowledge Management. In To Boldly Go Where No Human-Robot Team Has Gone Before: Papers from the 2006 Spring Symposium, ed. Terry Fong, 24-31. Technical Report SS-06-07. American Association for Artificial Intelligence, Menlo Park, California, 2006.
Design Principles for HRI (Readings for 10/25/07)
- Metrics for Evaluating Human-Robot Interactions, Dan R. Olsen and Michael A. Goodrich, PerMIS 2003.
- Common Metrics for Human-Robot Interaction, Aaron Steinfeld, Terrence Fong, David Kaber, Michael Lewis, Jean Scholtz, Alan Schultz and Michael Goodrich, Proceedings of the 1st Annual IEEE/ACM Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, 2006.
- Beyond Usability Evaluation: Analysis of Human-Robot Interaction at a Major Robotics Competition, Holly A. Yanco, Jill L. Drury, and Jean Scholtz, Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Volume 19, Numbers 1 and 2, pp. 117-149.
Types of Interaction (Readings for 10/11/07; 10/18/07 due to water main break)
- Critical considerations for human-robot interface development, Julie A. Adams, 2002 AAAI Fall Symposium: Human Robot Interaction Technical Report FS-02-03. Nov. 2002, pp.1-8.
- A methodological approach relating the classcation of gesture to identcation of human intent in the context of human-robot interaction, Chrystopher L. Nehaniv, Kerstin Dautenhahn, Jens Kubacki, Martin Haegele, Christopher Parlitz, and Rachid Alami. Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Workshop on Robots and Human Interactive Communication.
- Design guidelines for map-based human-robot interfactes: a colocated workspace perspective, Woohun Lee, Hokyoung Ryu, Gyunghye Yang, Hyunjin Kim, Youngkuk Park and Seokwon Bang, International Journal of Industrial Erogonomics, 37, pp. 589-604, 2007.
- Enabling effective human-robot interaction using perspective-taking in robots, J. Gregory Trafton, Nicholas L. Cassimatis, Magdalena D. Bugajska, Derek P. Brock, Farilee E. Mintz, and Alan C. Schultz, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part A: System and Humans, Volume 35,Number 4, July 2005.
Autonomy and Trust (Readings for 10/4/07)
- Theory and evaluation of human robot interactions, Jean Scholtz, Proceedings of the 36h Annual Hawaii Conference on System Sciences, 2003.
- Building a multimodal human-robot interface, D. Perzanowski, A.C. Schultz, W. Adams, E. Marsh and M. Bugajska, Intelligent Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, January/February 2001, pp. 16-21.
- Performance of Multi-Touch Table Interaction and Physically Situated Robot Agents, Mark Micire, Jill L. Drury, Brenden Keyes, Holly A. Yanco and Amanda Courtmanche, Submitted to HRI-08.
Situation Awareness (Readings for 9/27/07)
- A Model for Types and Levels of Human Interaction with Automation, Raja Parasuraman, Thomas B. Sheridan, and Christopher D. Wickens, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol. 30, No. 3, May 2000.
- Experiments in Adjustable Autonomy, Michael A. Goodrich, Dan R. Olsen Jr., Jacob W. Crandall and Thomas J. Palmer, Proceedings of IJCAI-01.
- Chapter 10 of Designing for Situation Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design by Mica R. Endsley, Betty Bolte, and Debra G. Jones, Taylor & Francis, 2003.
Design Principles for HCI (Readings for 9/20/07)
- Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 6 of Designing for Situation Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design by Mica R. Endsley, Betty Bolte, and Debra G. Jones, Taylor & Francis, 2003.
- Awareness in Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operations, J.L. Drury and S.D. Scott, submitted to the International Journal of Command and Control.
Robot Morphologies and Interaction Distance (Readings for 9/13/07)
- Emotional Design: Why we love (or hate) everyday things, D. Norman, 2004, Chapter 1.
- Why not make interaces better than 3D reality?, B. Shneiderman, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, November/December 2003, pp. 12-15.
- Designing for fun: how can we design user interfaces to be more fun?, B. Shneiderman, Interactions, September/October 2004, pp. 48-50.
- Improving a human-computer dialog, R. Molich and J. Nielsen, Communications of the ACM, Volume 33, Issue 3, March 1990, pp. 338-348.
- List of ten usability heuristics from Jakob Nielsen's web site, just fyi, not a paper to write a commentary on.
- A survey of socially interactive robots, T.W. Fong, I. Nourbakhsh, and K. Dautenhahn, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2003.
- Body movement analysis of human-robot interaction, T. Kanda, H. Ishiguro, M. Imai and T. Ono, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2003.
- Matching robot appearance and behavior to tasks to improve human-robot cooperation, J. Goetz, S. Kiesler and A. Powers, Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (ROMAN), 2003.
- The design of a highly reliable robot for unmediated museum interaction, I. Nourbakhsh, E. Hamner, E. Porter, B. Dunlavey, E. Ayoob, T. Hsiu, M. Lotter and S. Shelly, Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2005.